Sunday, February 27, 2011

Davie Predicts the Oscars

In preparation for the 2011 Academy Awards ceremony this evening, I've decided to post my own Oscar predictions.  Unfortunately I haven't seen every film nominated (most regrettably, I somehow didn't see True Grit), but I've read enough about all the films that I think I can make educated guesses about them all.  I am also only making predictions about the major categories.  So in order to avoid making this intro last as ridiculously long as the awards ceremony will tonight, here are my predictions:

Best Picture Nominees*:
*denotes film I did not see
  • 127 Hours*
  • Black Swan
  • The Fighter*
  • Inception
  • The Kids Are All Right
  • The King's Speech
  • The Social Network
  • Toy Story 3
  • True Grit*
  • Winter's Bone
 Will Win:  The King's Speech has gained enough momentum that it will beat out The Social Network for best picture.  True Grit or Black Swan could be a dark horse to win.
Should Win:  I loved The King's Speech, but the most deserving film is The Social Network.  There is a good chance I'd be picking True Grit if I had seen it.

Best Director:

  • Darren Aronovsky - Black Swan
  • Ethan Coen and Joel Coen - True Grit*
  • David Fincher - The Social Network
  • Tom Hooper - The King's Speech
  • David O. Russell - The Fighter*
Will Win:  There's a strong chance David Fincher could win, but I think Tom Hooper will ride the tide of support for The King's Speech to win.
Should Win:  David Fincher.  And Christopher Nolan should have been nominated for Inception at the expense of either Tom Hooper or (from what I've heard) David O. Russell.

Best Actor:
  • Javier Bardem - Biutiful*
  • Jeff Bridges - True Grit*
  • Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network
  • Colin Firth - The King's Speech
  • James Franco - 127 Hours*
Will Win:  I don't see Jeff Bridges winning two year in a row.  Colin Firth continues The King's Speech's winning streak.
Should Win:  Colin Firth

Best Actress:
  • Annette Bening - The Kids Are All Right
  • Nicole Kidman - Rabbit Hole*
  • Jennifer Lawrence - Winter's Bone
  • Natalie Portman - Black Swan
  • Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine
Will Win:  The Oscar is Natalie Portman's to lose, but I could see Annette Bening having an outside chance of pulling the upset.
Should Win: Michelle Williams and Jennifer Lawrence were both fantasic, but I'd still go with Portman.

Best Supporting Actor:
  • Christian Bale - The Fighter*
  • John Hawkes - Winter's Bone
  • Jeremy Renner - The Town
  • Mark Ruffalo - The Kids Are All Right
  • Geoffrey Rush - The King's Speech
Will Win: Based on what I've heard, my money's on Christian Bale.  It is possible that Geoffrey Rush could ride The King's Speech's wave of success to victory.
Should Win: Having not seen Bale in The Fighter, Geoffrey Rush is far and away the best of the other nominees.

Best Supporting Actress:
  • Amy Adams - The Fighter*
  • Helena Bonham Carter - The King's Speech
  • Melissa Leo - The Fighter*
  • Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit*
  • Jackie Weaver - Animal Kingdom*
Will Win:  I've hardly seen any of the films in this category, but it sounds like Melissa Leo is the favorite.
Should Win:  Can't really say since I've only seen one of the nominees in this category.

Best Animated Feature:
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • The Illusionist
  • Toy Story 3
Will Win:  Obviously Toy Story 3.
Should Win:  I really all three movies, but Pixar deserves the award yet again.

Best Feature Documentary:
  • Exit Through the Gift Shop
  • Gasland
  • Inside Job*
  • Restrepo
  • Waste Land*
Will Win: Exit might have an outside shot, but I'll bet the speculation that the film may not be a true documentary might turn off some of the voters.  I think the content of Inside Job will give it the edge.
Should Win:  The real winner should be The Tillman Story, but it wasn't nominated.  Of the nominees, Exit Through the Gift Shop was the best, although Resrepo is deserving as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment